Beef Rouladen Recipe
Meat rolls filled with Schinkenspeck, onions and pickles. Served with rich gravy, potato dumplings and braised red cabbage.
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- Cooking Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Serves: 4
- 4 Beef Rouladen Steaks
- Kühne mild German mustard
- Kühne pickled Gherkins (sweet and sour); cut roughly
- 4 strips Schinkenspeck
- 1 small sized onion; chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper
- Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Pfanni potato dumplings
- Braised red cabbage
- Generously spread one side of each Rouladen fillet with mustard. Place Schinkenspeck, onions and pickle pieces on each fillet, sprinkle with salt and pepper and form into a roll. Use string or toothpicks to hold the roll together.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and melt butter. Place the rolls in the butter and sauté until browned.
- Add the beef stock, 4 cups hot water and a bay leaf to the skillet. Reduce heat and simmer the rolls for around 60 minutes until meat is tender.
- Remove rolls from pan and keep warm. Remove bay leaf. Combine flour and 1/2 cup water until smooth; gradually stir into broth. Bring to a boil; stir continuously until thickened. Return rolls to the gravy.
- Remove string or toothpicks from the rolls. Serve Rouladen rolls and gravy with potato dumplings and braised red cabbage. Sprinkle rolls with parsley.